Subject: weekend 27 Mar-afterwards
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:50:54 +0000
From: Cliff Buttschardt <cbuttsch@kcbx.net>
To: Bob Twiggs <btwiggs@leland.Stanford.edu>,Ed English
<eenglish@slonet.org>,Jordi Puigsuari <jpuigsua@calpoly.edu>
BCC: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil>,Ray Soifer <ray@soiferconsulting.com>

Bob, there are number of items that need to be said about the weekend balloon
launch not necessarily in order of importance.  To me, one of the most important
items NOT done was for me to meet your crew.  I was so damn busy getting ready, I
missed the launch entirely with my head in a computer.  With my skills, that is
disaster indeed!  Ed and I were so far South during recovery that we did not get
back until you had departed with your payload.  Understandable, but not part of
the satisfaction we usually need to make such supreme effort meaningful.  We need
to run a critique of the balloon activities to be sure no lesson is overlooked.
     On another subject, I noted your message to AMSAT and understand some of the
couched terms used.  Do be careful to observe that AMSAT would not have gotten
off their silly backside without most of us putting our entire reputation on line
and screaming at the Toronto convention.  The best reference to this is Assi
Freedman who wrote the level headed analysis of the University "function."  I do
not have to tell you how many lifetime favors I called to get this accomplished.
     The subject of your callsign on No-45 has come up once again.  Best not let
anyone know of the details as to how your call got put on that satellite.  That
was one of the most difficult negotiations ever.  You have simply GOT to support
ham radio in a fashion somewhat uncomfortable to you.  We will help but we are
NOT out of the woods but rather just starting.  Ed, me and you are stairstep in
descending age.  We have to leave something from which others can build other than
the notion that Universities are only interested in using ham frequencies rather
than producing amateur results on ham frequencies.  You might want to reread your
AMSAT reply note in this regard.    73   Cliff Buttschardt  K7RR