Re: re: The University <-> AMSAT relation, was: _ube sat pay load

AMSATers;

I would like to respond to this impression about the university community.

I started working the AMSAT-NA and have been a member since the early
1980s.  If you recall, the 4 microsats that were launched in 1990 was a
collaboration between AMSAT-NA and universities, namely Weber State
University in Ogden, Utah which built all of the structures.  Weber State
also build the primary structure for AO-40.

As to the universities 'not actually working with us',  I hope some of the
AMSAT Bod will speak up about my many, many times I have appealed at AMSAT
symposium to try to get AMSAT-NA to be supportive of the university
satellite community, but I really feel it was the other way around.  I
really believe that many AMSAT-NA did not believe we could actually build,
launch and have operational satellites.  I think if the ignored us, we
would go away.  I became a real thorn in the side of AMSAT-NA with
suggesting frequencies for universities to use.  Now, AMSAT-NA has pushed
and there is a good working relationship between the university satellite
community and the IARU  --  Thank You AMSAT-NA.

The university community would really like to work with AMSAT and both
could benefit significantly.  We are building CubeSats because it allows us
to get experience and have an affordable launch cost.  Some of the CubeSats
my only 'bleep-bleep', but the Japanese are taking images with their
'bleep-bleep'.

As regards to payload, most of the students are better at building the bus
that the payload.  So - William,  how about you offering a completed flight
payload like your transponder, we can find a number of universities that
are looking for creative payloads.

We and I hope I speak for the majority of the university satellite
community, would really like to work with AMSAT members in any way
possible.  But we don't just want you to make suggestion of what to use as
payload, step up give us flight ready payloads.

Thanks
Bob Twiggs KE6QMD
Stanford University