Re: RE: Kids' licensing material?

While this may not be the best use of our "bb", the topic raises an
interesting point. We are all aware of child genius who appear from time to
time, these make the head lines but what of others who develop early both in
knowledge and maturity? Who are we to set boundaries? I have an
intellectually handicapped brother-in-law who at 50+ will never get an
amateur licence, which argues the other end of the age that years are not be
a defining factor in ability.

Some years back I took part in a move in New Zealand to abolish the minimum
age for licensing. First it was set at 16, then reduced to 14, and now
abolished - to late for my sons who quickly grew through the stage of
interest in "secret" communications via Morse code (and radio) to be lost to
amateur radio for ever. I was struck by the significance that we had lost
these lads and missed a golden opportunity. From there the argument was
simple, gain a pass, gain a licence.

It should be noted that at no stage was there ever any suggestion of
lowering standards, these are set out in a basic form in the ITU RRs and
should be adhered to, especially if we are to support the maintenance of our
service and its integrity. Any future changes should and must apply across
the board regardless of age.

I would hope that we "mature" radio amateurs would welcome all new comers to
share the wonderful experiences and the excitement we get from being active
in the Amateur Radio Service.

Best wishes to all who seek to ensure a secure future for our very special
Service.

For more information visit http://www.nzart.org.nz/nzart/exam/

Terry, ZL3QL.
    L.M. AMSAT-NA
    L.M. NZART
    Overseas Liaison, NZART
    Observer, & Chairman Working Group 1 (Policy Matters), IARU Region 3
Conference 2004, Taiwan.