Re: cube sat

>A School in my area is thinking about building a cube sat .
>...what kind of pay load could you suggest to fly?

A linear transponder like FO 20/29.  2m uplink and 70 cm
downlink.  Only 30 KHz wide is enough.  1W PEP
Use DTMF and a key chain RX (postage stamp) for
ON/OFF control and power management.
Use a MIM chip for AX.25 telemetry.  It will easily fit
in the 4" cube...

see http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html

Or another PCsat.  You can trim off a KPC-3+
TNC and fit it in on the diagonal.  THen you have
both the digipeater, and telmemtry and command
control.  Add a postage stamp voice synthesizer
like we are doing on ANDE and RAFT and you
will have a packet-to-voice transponder too for
special events, or comms with anyone with an
HT without a TH-D7 or other packet system.

See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/craft/raft1.gif

Bob, WB4APR