ECHO Launch fund

Regarding the question raised on the -bb regarding a possible shortfall in
the $110,000.00 fund drive to launch ECHO, I would like to comment.
While I am a board member, these comments are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of any official BoD policy.

An organization like AMSAT faces a constant struggle to fund projects (Build
& Launch). The dues we collect each year basically keep the doors open.
Those dues are supplemented by items like advertising in the Journal, the
sale of items, special funding like the Presidents Club, etc.. This yearly
total pays the day to day projects of AMSAT and funds small portions of the
"Build & Fly" development expenses.

When we face the actual construction & launch of a satellite like ECHO or
EAGLE we must raise substantial additional funds to pay these significant
expenditures. In the case of ECHO we need to raise the $110,000. to prevent
us from spending reserves that are committed to other projects or other long
term expenses such as servicing life members.

ECHO will fly... That is not the issue. The issue is that we must pay for
the ECHO project in a time frame in keeping with the expenses incurred....
We have much on the drawing board including EAGLE which will require
substantial funding... We can not progress down the road to multiple LEOs
and HEOs if we can not even pay for a single LEO (ECHO).

So again, the bottom line is this: ECHO will fly, we (AMSAT members) must
pay the bill with new moneys and we need to do it now... Remember, this is
our organization, building birds for US... We need to constantly participate
with our checkbooks...

With a LOT of work, and over a long time, we will attempt to endow the
organization with sufficient funds to build & launch from the annual income
from the endowment, but for now, we are not so blessed, and must do it out
of our own pockets....

Thanks for your attention and PLEASE join in the joy of helping to pay for
putting ECHO into orbit!!!

WE CAN DO IT!!  WE MUST DO IT!!  WE HAVE BEFORE, AND WILL IN THE FUTURE...

Regards,
Gunther Meisse
AMSAT BoD Member
LM:594