Re: WHAT IF?

I wasn't going to answer because it's really the place of a board member to
do so.  But I have had this conversation with one, so I'll contribute a
second hand reply.

The short answer is that unless something unforeseen happens Echo will get
launched in June.  The reason is simple - launches have to be scheduled far
in advance, contracts are signed and if you cancel you may not get another
chance at that or any other price.

The down side is that not reaching the goal would really hurt future AMSAT
projects.  Monies will have to be borrowed, probably from or against long
term investments.  This will cause a loss in interest income (or investment
dividends) and would result in less money for future projects like
Eagle.  Borrowing or cashing in long term investments and endowments is a
bad thing.  Other belt tightening would also have to occur.

[ I will point out that the Eagle fund will not be touched because that is
a dedicated fund.  I think AMSAT management also realizes that if they use
that fund for Echo, there will be nothing less than a total rebellion. ]

73,

Emily

At 01:52 PM 3/21/2004 -0500, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:

> [...]

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7