New opportunities to reduce QRM to amateur satellites in Region 1

At the recent meeting of the IARU Region 1 VHF Managers held in Vienna, the
subject of QRM to satellites operating in the amateur spectrum allocated to
satellites was discussed.

As a result of good work performed by Ib, OZ1MY, we were able to demonstrate
both by written log and by .WAV file the QRM that is occurring, especially
but not exclusively to 145MHz uplinks and when the satellites are over
Africa and the Middle East.

The IARU Region 1 has a Monitoring Service which has been active for some
years but which has, up to now, concentrated on frequencies below 30MHz. In
view of the wide area of QRM that can be caused by satellites relaying
signals across many borders, the team has now enthusiastically agreed to add
our problems to their portfolio.

What is needed therefore are regular reports showing the following details
which can be usefully backed up by .wav files as these can enable more
precise recognition of accents and dialects to be made. This information
obviously can aid identification.

Sat Name

AOS/ LOS

Real QRG down(allowing for doppler)

UTC

Day

Month

Mode

Identification

Country or language

REMARKS

(These are really "column" headings but this does not display very well
using "plain text"!)

The team has good contacts which are already used daily to "remove" some of
the intruders to our bands so we should try to see if similar success can be
achieved on VHF and UHF.

The system works generally through national societies so you should send
your reports to the MS coordinator of your Region 1 National Society in the
first instance.

For the time being could you also please send me a copy as well for
information.

In response, I will try to provide everyone with a quarterly report on the
MS activities
as they apply to our branch of amateur radio!

I would be grateful if you could forward this information to all Region 1
AMSAT organisations

Thanks

Graham Shirville G3VZV

IARU R1 Satellite Co-ordinator