Re: 5400B Problem

I'm afraid Howard that your supposition is right----there is a dirty pot inside
the elevation rotor.  You can confirm this by temporarily substituting a 500
ohm potentiometer in place of the "dirty" one.  Disconnect terminals E1,2 and 3.
Place the center pin of the test pot to pin 2.  Pin 1 and 3 connect to the end
terminals.  Now vary the test pot and see if the needle moves smoothly.
    If you choose to replace the pot inside the rotor the Yaesu part number is:
Q9000408 and the cost is US$ 28.72           Cliff Buttschardt K7RR  LM 1606