Force Disconnect from ISS

Hi,

I wonder if those of you who use the same type of Kenwood (D700)
that is installed on the ISS, could answer a question for me.

In a number of recent passes, I have been abruptly disconnected from the
ISS PMS (RS0ISS-11). My suspicion is that this occurs if I have my beacon
turned on (APRS via ARISS,SGATE,WIDE).

For the present, I kill my beacon while I connect to the PMS.

Can someone, who is familiar with the Kenwood radio, tell me if I am
correct please. It this what is happening?  Does the Kenwood function like
this? Or have I just experienced an unlikely string of coincidences?

Thanks

Sil - ZL2CIA