Dayton Hamvention

Dayton Hamvention (14-16 MAY)  is quickly approaching and it is time to
ask for AMSAT members to consider volunteering to man the AMSAT booth.
In addition, AMSAT has a block of rooms reserved at the Fairfield Inn
in Fairborn, OH.  Priority on room allocations will be given first to
those members who volunteer to man the booth.

Here are the particulars:

Hotel
====

Fairfield Inn is located at 2500 Paramount Place  Fairborn, OH, 45324.
This is off Colonel Glenn Highway near the Homewood Suites where the
AMSAT contingent stayed for a number of years up until 2001.  Martha
controls the block of AMSAT rooms, so please call her at the AMSAT
office (301-589-6062) or e-mail her (Martha@amsat.org) if you'd like to
have her add you to the AMSAT block.  DO NOT CONTACT THE HOTEL NOR THE
MARRIOTT RESERVATION CENTER IF YOU WISH TO BE PART OF THE AMSAT BLOCK!
Only Martha has control of who gets room assignments associated with
the AMSAT block.

Let Martha know your day of arrival and day of departure.  At the time
you contact Martha via phone or e-mail, please provide her with your
Visa/Master Card number, expiration date, and name that appears on the
credit card. She will not attempt to coordinate sharing of rooms, so if
you wish to split the cost with someone, you'll have to make your own
arrangements.  AMSAT has reserved 16  rooms with 2 double beds and 14
rooms with a single king size bed, so let her know your preference.

Cost of the rooms is $75.00 per night and includes continental
breakfast.  AMSAT does have a deadline for committing for these rooms,
so you must coordinate with Martha no later than Friday, 2 APR 04.  Any
rooms not assigned by close of business on Friday, 2 APR 04 will be
returned to the hotel,

AMSAT Booth
===========

AMSAT is expected to be located at Booths 445-448, which has been our
location for a number of years.  The AMSAT dinner is set for 1900 on
Friday evening at the Amber Rose Restaurant.  The AMSAT Forum is
scheduled for 0815-0945 on Saturday morning.  Details on these two
events will be forthcoming.

AMSAT will setup the booth on Thursday, 13 MAY with the setup team
gathering at the Fairfield Inn lobby that morning following breakfast
around 0900.  The morning will be spent getting a rental van, loading
the AMSAT materials and proceeding to Hara Arena.   Volunteers are
needed to assist with setup after lunch and we should be finished
around 1700.  Anyone wishing to assist with setup can meet the team
either at the hotel in the morning or at Hara Arena that afternoon.
Following setup, an informal AMSAT gathering will take place Thursday
evening....details to follow.

We also need a large number of volunteers to man the booth during the
Hamvention itself, preferably in two-hour shifts.  Whether or not
you've ever assisted in manning an AMSAT booth at Hamvention or another
hamfest, please consider helping out this year.  This is a great
opportunity to meet  people, assist in representing AMSAT, and
publicizing the upcoming launch of OSCAR-Echo.

Hamvention hours are 0900-1800 Friday, 0800-1700 Saturday, and
0800-1300 Sunday, which translates into 23 show hours during the
weekend.  We'd like to have 6 volunteers manning the booth at all
times, so we need a total of 138 man hours for people to volunteer.  We
also have take down occurring once the show closes.

If you have an interest in volunteering to assist AMSAT at Dayton this
year, please send me an e-mail (wd4asw@amsat.org) indicating your
willingness to help out and let me know whether you're volunteering to
help with setup, take down,  and/or booth operations.  This is
particularly important if you're interested in reserving an AMSAT room
with Martha, since she will be checking with me to confirm who is
helping out before confirming room assignments.  As noted above,
priority will be given to those who assist AMSAT at Hamvention.  People
who do not volunteer can still request an AMSAT room at the Fairfield
Inn, but the chances of getting a room will depend upon the number of
volunteers who also request a room.

Should you have any questions about AMSAT activities at Hamvention,
please e-mail me at wd4asw@amsat.org.  I have just relocated to North
Carolina, so please note that my home number has changed to
704-788-8032 (same number as on the Area Coordinator Listing posted on
the AMSAT web site).

See ya at Dayton!

Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Field Operations