Re: Re: Threats from VA3LK (Larry Kayser)

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:42:12PM -0000, Robert McGwier wrote:

> Larry conducted the first transatlantic QSO on 137 Khz
> 3 years ago.  He is currently attempting the 1st transatlantic
> on 2 meters.
>
> Larry is, as he has always been, passionate.  He is not an idiot
> and he is most certainly not a threat to anyone.

  In fact, I had coffee with him yesterday morning. He is not an idiot
nor is he a threat to anyone. He is an old fart. (His own words)
I'm floored anyone would think that he was a threat.
However, He can be blunt and brusque and I have told him that to his face, I
could see how that would not win him friends at times.

> Working with help from Larry Kayser, and a data sheet provided
> me by Jan King, I wrote command software for AO-7.  Mike, N1JEZ,
> tested the software and was able to do absolutely minimalist
> command of AO-7.  I did my own tests.  I was able, with very
> high power, to command AO-7 from ModeA to ModeB.  I could never
> get a Mode B command in and I understand that this has always been
> the case.  Since I was doing my experiments primarily on the quiet,
> I never mentioned it.  I was NEVER able to turn the satellite
> transponder OFF, in any mode.  Mike did his thing, found it impossible
> and he too, quietly let it drop.  Now we will air out all our
> smelly underwear I suppose.
>
> AO-7 is basically not commandable.  If we had an army of command

  The responsible thing to do now, IMO, is to consult with the FCC (or
powers that be, perhaps ITU?) It was an early bird, things went wrong,
every attempt was made to command it, and have it "grandfathered in"
or somesuch until such a time as it can be cleaned up. After all, it is up,
it is usable, albeit with problems, then our conscience is clean.

> stations, and a national budget, we might be able to do more. Larry
> was very interested at the time.  He was most helpful and I take
> full responsibility for not continuing to communicate with him
> to convey the dreadful results of the experiments.  Let me tell
> you it is a pain the arse to modulate a signal generator and then
> amplify it to high power at an EME friends house.  This was never
> going to be a long term thing.
>
> For More on Kayser's exploits:
>
> www.imagenisp.ca/jsm/136.html
>

> I understand from others that Larry has become enamored of GPS
> and its use in timing in the aid of communications.  I suggest you
> read the following, provided to me earlier today.  It contains
> some of Kayser's writings in support of his efforts.  He is clearly
> not an idiot.  But like all human beings, he is capable of acting
> a bit foolish.  If you called the FBI on me everytime I acted
> foolishly,  I would never get out of jail.  May I suggest that
> in future, we discuss these kinds of problems with other AMSAT
> types who might be more familiar with the situation before we
> engage lawyers, FBI, etc.  It would at least cut down on the
> wasted bandwidth on this BBS.

  It also broke net etiquette.

> http://amrad.org/pipermail/tacos/2000/001459.html
>
> Bob