Re: lunar transponder temps

Hadn't thought of burying it or covering it up with insulating material
.. guess I was fixated on surface ops.  Yeah, that would work, all
right, especially with an insulating blanket above and below ..

On Friday, Mar 5, 2004, at 08:05 US/Central, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> How would you propose to deal with the temperature deltas
>> on the Moon?
>
> Actually, by using just the simple solar design for passive solar
> heating like we do here on Earth, the blanket that covers the
> device and surrounding few feet of lunar soil would have
> selective coatings so that it has better solar heat gain and
> minimizes thermal radiative losses.
>
> Although unprotected surfaces can get to +250 F and - 350 F
> the average subsurface temperature is in the middle at about
> -50 deg F or C.  Using the passive solar heating techniques
> should be able to warm this thermal mass up to something
> more palatable near 0 deg C.
>
> In either case, this thermal mass should be able to mitigate
> the 600 degree swings to something more like 60 deg swings
> or less?
>
> I updated the themal paragraphs on the  Moon Relay site:
>
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/moonrelay.html
>
> de Wb4APR, Bob

"Oh yeah? Well, I speak LOOOOOOOUD, and I carry a BEEEEEEEger stick --
and I use it too!"  **whop!**   -- Yosemite Sam