RE: Moon Relay

James,

Thank you for the answer per your URL, which I have now read. But to be
honest, I do not understand all of it, nor the final result.

I did study Planks Law and Black Body Radiation at University, but only at
1st year Physics levels.

Anyway, putting the question in very practical terms:

Q: If I had an operational ground station on 2.4 GHz (say, left over from
use on AO-40), and for the same given signal at my receiver, how much is the
difference in sig/noise etc for AO-40 against the 4 K of space vs. the "Moon
Base Repeater" sitting in the middle of the 225 K moon?

Would the transmitted signal need to be at a higher level on arrival at
earth to be useful, for the same ground station, or is the noise level of
the moon not very significant?

I fully expect the answer is there in your document, but as above, I don't
yet know enough about such matters to be able to interrupt it.

Thankyou to yourself and any others that would care to comment on such
matters.

Regards,
Jim Towler
Wellington
New Zealand
ZL1TYF

P.S. I was not reading this group 6 weeks ago, so did not see the earlier
answer.

  http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb/200401/msg00455.html