Re: Fw: Moon Relay

There's already talk of designating the Apollo 11 landing site as a
historical monument, so it would be unwise to make any plans to reuse
any dishes from that site.  (If there were any .. the PSE would have
been the only experiment I can think of that would have had a high gain
dish, and I think the primary high gain was on the LM ascent stage, but
I could be wrong.)

As for the dishes you're talking about .. I don't know what the plans
are for designating the 15-17 sites as historical sites, but I'd
suspect there would be a storm of protest if someone took the dish off
one of the LRV's.  I think Gene Cernan brought back a piece of one of
17's LRV fenders when it accidentally broke off during a transit, but I
don't think that counts .. lol.  According to international agreement,
though, all that hardware is still NASA property and you'd definitely
need to do some negotiating to use it.

Now, as for the Surveyor landers .. same problem but lesser degree, I
think, since Surveyor didn't have nearly as high a profile as Apollo
(except for the Pete and Alan Show at the Surveyor III site) and
Surveyor III has already had some pieces ripped off of it.  I think it
had a pretty decent high gain on it too, and it might be easier to
salvage without raising a huge ruckus ..

On Wednesday, Mar 3, 2004, at 17:31 US/Central, Graham Shirville wrote:

> Don't forget that we already have three steerable second hand dishes,
> that
> look about the right size and with S band feeds, available free of
> charge
> for re-use already  sitting on the lunar surface.
>
> Check here for more details and maps showing their current locations!
>
> http://www.thursdaysclassroom.com/index_04may00.html
>
> Sorry I dont know the coax terminations are - you had  better take a
> box
> full of adaptors with you.
>
> 73
>
> Graham G3VZV

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve
life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf