Re: Idea for more satellites in short time

Hi,

Well, I think the evolution may be a bit surprising.  Firstly, 3.4 GHz
isn't an international ham allocation so probably very unlikely candidate
for satellite.  Next both 5.6 and 10 GHz are equally easy to get on (there
are several mw vendors that make convertors).  I would say that 10.450 GHz
is more attractive since there is a space allocation there.  Also 10 GHz is
the most rapidly growing mw band above 1296 MHz.  A really attractive mode
would be mode-S/X as one can make a dual-band feed horn and use one dish.
A transmitting convertor for 2.4 GHz in the 1 to  5w range is not terribly
difficult or expensive.

24 GHz is a bit harder to do right now.  Also remember that Doppler is
magnified by operating frequency.  It is really too bad the x-band
transmitter failed on AO-40, as mode-S/X might have been used.  Apparently
this is "history" for now.

A comment to Dan Shultz's observations:  It is true that the unfortunate
failures of the V and U transmitters pressed many folks up onto 2.4 GHz.
The "difficutly" (or lack of) to do this was helped greatly by the
availability of inexpensive surplus convertors that took little work (or
test equipment) to make them usuable.  I doubt that AO-40 would have seen
near the population if only the 24 GHz tranmitter were available.  I do
agree that having working mw satellites does promote getting people onto
those bands.  Many folks (like me) are not near the regional centers of
terrestrial mw activity, so motivation to get on higher freq. is a tough
sell.  Satellite overcomes this issue (someone to talk to).

I do think AO-40 was overly ambitious (I understand the opportunity of the
launch platform and the mindset), but now Amsat should realize that perhaps
less ambitous projects on a more frequent schedule will have greater
overall benefit.  The new reality is what kind of launch capability is
available to us.  I like the idea of making "modular" designs that may be
"packaged" as the opportunity presents itself.  Not having to re-invent
every time has some advantages (especially if the frequency of launches is
not extended over a decade).

Amsat-NA has a new board and lots of recent "experience" to benefit from.
The membership is watching closely the decisions that will be made.

73s, ED - AL7EB
50-144-432-1296-2400-3456-10368-24192