Re: Idea for more satellites in short time

Hello

A very fine post.  I'll just note this.

I ahvent followed the post accident (incident) aka the rocket motor problem
all that closely.  Having said that I havent seen (but it may exist) a
timeline as to how the mistake on the ground cause the big boom in the
silence of space, nor any discussion on how the restojet (or whatever it was
called) failed.  I assume some internal effort has occurred...but since
AMSAT's/Germany's propulsion failures far exceed their success well if I was
any launch authority the bar to get on my rocket with an "engine" would be
pretty high.

AO 40 was probably several bridges to far.  In so many ways.

Its clear the folks who build the birds do comm quite well but rocket
science is well still an issue at work.  I dont know that AMSAT has asked
some outside experts who do things like investigate airplane accidents, oil
rig (as in drilling rig) accidents, nuclear power plant accidents, ship
accidnts to come in and take a tiger team approach to finding out what went
wrong with the propulsion plant "thing".  From everything I have read that
seems a place that AMSAT doesnt want to go (aka explaining what went wrong).
  I've heard stories but there is really no offical "report" that I have
been made aware of.

I'd be curious to know what the breakdown in launch cost vrs building cost
for AO-40 were.  Obviously there was some background with Ariane/Arianespace
in building Phase 3 vehicles.  This was a whole new deal. We built not only
the bird but the load bearing structure....

As for transponders...well 10 meters to 24 ghz is pretty ambitious.  Most
hams are not on 24 ghz and wont be for sometime.  Imagine who the world
would be different if we had say two or three AO-10 clones in orbit now with
modern stuff for control?

As for P3E and the Mars thing...Good luck.  The Mars thing is a joke.  The
Brits wasted their time and money with Beagle and if "hams" send one to Mars
the odds are quite high its space debris.  Heck they couldnt even make the
propulsion on AO-40 work so shoot for Mars orbit?  Thats realistic.

Robert G. Oler WB5MZO (AMSAT and ARRL life member just to throw that in)

Houston