Tracking of UO-11 beacon

Hello,

The UO-11 beacon was very strong here in Virginia Friday. I tracked an
overhead pass, with the aid of Full Doppler Tracking. The S-band antenna is
the N3IYR dish with RHC polarization. The Down-converter is a UEK-3000. I
used Nova for Windows and my W6IHG Radio Tuner for FDT. I was also running
the AO-40Rcv to give me an audio spectrum display.

The beacon started out with a fairly clean tone (looked like a CW signal on
the audio waterfall). Then another tone(s) came in which broaden out the
display and a beat was heard that had the amplitude of the tones varying at
a several cycle per second rate. This was very broad but weak at TCA. Then
the changes reversed and went back to a clean tone just before the signal
was lost.

The maximum amplitude of the signal was three units on the AO-40Rcv
amplitude display. I recall someone said each of these were 10 dB???

Very interesting. I want to figure out how to and set up Monday to get a
recording of these signals.

What does the 1200 baud AFSK sound like on S-band? What I heard was not at
all like the VHF telemetry signal.

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net