UO-11 beacon and Full Doppler Control

Hello,

Friday I re-did an experiment that I ran several years ago as I was
developing my W6IHG Radio Tuner application.

I tracked the S-Band beacon signal of UO-11 on an over-head (max El about
60 degrees) pass WITHOUT touching the radio dials. I was using Full Doppler
Tracking with my W6IHG Radio Tuner controlling the Doppler correction for
my FT847.  The Doppler range was over 100 Khz in a 12 minute pass! This is
much different than we have experienced with AO-40. Even though the Doppler
range for AO-40 is as great, the change is over hours and manual tuning of
the radio dials works (but even then we can not hold a constant frequency
at the satellite).

As we look forward to Echo and using the L-Band uplink and the S-Band
downlink, it seems to me that we are going to need computer assistance to
correct for the radid Doppler shifts we will experience. Many of our radios
DO have computer control and I think we are going to want to improve our
stations to the point where we can use Full Doppler Control. Leaving the
Transmit frequency (the lower frequency) fixed is not going to cut it on
the L/S-band channel in a low earth orbit.

There are many solutions available to use in this improvement of our
stations. See the URL in my signature block for my inexpensive W6IHG Radio
Tuner.

Jerry, W6IHG

 >UO-11 S-Band still sounds good, but wow sure is alot of doppler.
 >copied at 21:45 utc 2-19-04

 >UO-11also has a 2401.5 MHz beacon, although hearing the 2.4 GHz signal
 >could present a challenge.

_______

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net