Re: Electronic vs. paper Journal - REPLY -

> There is another issue: Advertising... We must present these adds to ALL
> readers since the clients deserve the full reach of our membership
> rolls. If we do not, we'll suffer a drop in advertising ad income.. Not
> good.

Long ago in school I learned that the newsstand prices of most
commercial print periodicals are set to just recover their incremental
printing and distribution costs. Advertising covers the editorial costs.
That explains why so many newspapers and magazines are available on the
web for free. This makes sense since advertisers pay more to reach more
readers, and you don't get more readers by raising your prices. So you
set them to the variable cost of production.

Since AMSAT's authors are volunteers, there are no editorial costs. And
on the web, there are no printing and distribution costs. (Well, there
are but somebody pays the bills for us.) So there's no reason why we
can't just give the journal away for free on the web, to members and
nonmembers alike, and perhaps charge a nominal fee (or add some
advertising) to get it to those few who still haven't bought computers
or telephone lines.

AMSAT's mission is to build, operate and promote amateur satellites and
inform any and all of our activities. Advertising is just one possible
means to that end. If we can find a way to do without it, so much the
better.

Phil