Re: Strategic Planing

Nick et. al.

Kudos to all.  Despite all of the problems, AO-40 has been a very rewarding
experience for me.

 Now is the time for all good amateurs to come to the aid of their AMSAT-??.

Was AO-40 too ambitious?  I don't think so.  Were there lessons to be
learned?  Again?  I think so.  Lets not point fingers.  The real value on
such disappointments and successes is to learn from our experiences.  Both
positive and negative!

Did AO-40 strain our ability to deliver on cost and schedule?  Of course it
did!  Does that mean we should back off and retreat to more modest projects?
I don't think so.  This is why I applaud AMSAT - DL's  P3E and P5 (Mars)
effort.  A stretch of the imagination.  Very worthwhile targets for us all.

The major problem is funding, not talent.  Now is not the time to retreat
and back off.  We need to initiate funding initiatives to not only fund
"echo" , but also other state-of -the -art projects, such as both LEO's and
HEO's.

A few additional comments.  I have experience in both nuclear power reactor
refueling procedures and electrical utility high voltage distribution
systems ( 230 kv ).  One common feature is written, reviewed and approved
procedures for all operations.  I don't think such procedures were
implemented with the AO-40 propulsion system operations.  Too much seat of
the pants decisions, without reviewed  and approved procedures (All flames
positively  received ).  I do not mean to criticize Stacy's  last minute
efforts to recover the satellite.  This not the time to second guess but
rather to rely on training and expertise of the Suburb Command Team, without
which we would not have had several years of most enjoyable access to a
state-of-the-art communications satellite for the amateur community.

The gist of the message is that now is the time to be positive, not
negative.  If we want more HEO's let's do it.  But let's not ignore the
LEO's and other such interests.  This a very rewarding and fascinating
hoppy. One that has given me many rewards, both technical and recreational.

Flame on,

Ken - K5GUU
AMSAT-NA
LM-1565