Re: RS-15

At 06:23 PM 2/24/2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>Mike
>
>Can you clarify?
>Is RS-15 always on?  And the only reason nothing is
>heard most of the time is that there are no users?
>
> From what you way below, it seems like it shouldnt
>be that hard.  But with the death of more of our
>satelites, it RS-15 is always ON, then I could even
>get interesetd in listening to it...

Bob:

I'm not sure if it's always on, but I believe so.  I would consider RS-15
to be a moderate satellite to work.  Not as easy as the Fuji birds, but
easier than AO-10 the last time it woke up.

Like I stated in a previous post, the experience is definitely enhanced by
being able to put a highly directional, switchable polarity signal INTO the
bird.  I can hear the bird on an old Sony PR-1 SWL active antenna I have
mounted outside.  A gain antenna on receive will also enhance the experience.

I took about 10' of 1.5' PVC, with a "plug" in the end.  The plug is one of
those rubber plugs with large steel washers on either side where you cinch
down the wing nut and it tightens.  I replaced the hardware with
stainless.  I took a 1' four way pvc junction, and glued 4 1' pieces of PVC
for the elements of the turnstile.  I drilled through the center of the 4
way, and put the bolt for the plug through the hole.  Now visualize a 10'
upright with 4 arms gently arcing towards the ground.  I wire tied copper
wire to the arms for the elements, and phased them at the 4 way
junction.  I drilled a hole in a frisbee, and it sits on top of the 4 way,
and protects the feed point and hardware from the rain.  My neighbors think
it is some sort of clothesline.