RE: Leo Class stations

Steve,

I'm currently am in the midst of experimenting with various LEO antenna
arrangements to expand my portable operation.  One idea that I currently
like is the idea
of using a simple az-only TV rotator (available at RadioShack,etc for
~$60) to rotate a small vertical beam.  The beam is tilted upwards
slightly with respect to the horizon.  This provides good gain for the
lower elevation parts of the pass, and as the bird gets up higher its
increasing signal strength compensates for the beam's reduced
sensitivity at higher elevations.  The relatively low gain of the system
makes pointing requirements not all that stringent.
I believe Bob Bruninga has described this setup in the past.  You might
find some relevant info at http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/rotator1.html

Hope this helps,
David Carr
KD5QGR