Re: Peltier element in space ?

Hello William, and other AMSAT-ers,

The idea of using a Peltier device is of some interest to me - particularly if it could somehow be mounted (and/or the satellite attitude controlled) so as to give you proper orientation (and not jeopardize other operational features for the satellite).  One (always the same)  "side" should face the sun (heat) and the other darkness (cold) to work best (highest yield). Likely a compromise would have to be made between the amount of optimum sun exposure and craft attitide.

I would be a little concerned about the efficiency potential of the device but do not know enough in specific to say if it is feasible or not.  It might be possible to use it as an augmenting DC source in addition to solar cells though of course that means a little "smarter" regulator circuit.

Would it perhaps be feasible to use these sources instead of heavier batteries, or at least could it mean fewer needed (or better effectiveness of the same total number with more switching options to take defective cells out-of-circuit)?

Thanks for a good item to mull.

73,

Lowell
K9LDW
An AMSAT member without my number handy... :-)