Re: Operating frequencies for FO-29

Hi Rick,

This is all well and good, but the problem with this is not all rigs have
CAT interfaces, and not all CAT software works with all tracking programs,
CAT interfaces and rigs.  Personally I think CAT is a very good thing to
have, but I don't have one (waiting on a USB version that was supposed to
be ready two months ago and hasn't hit the market yet) and to be honest I
don't know if there will be any software that will work with it.  The lack
of industry standards for CAT and CAT software is a frightening to me as
Microsoft getting into automotive software.  (What's that you say?  Norton
Anti-virus for the car?)

While I think it's good to advocate CAT, I think everyone (including people
with CAT) should understand the mechanics of Doppler correction.  You never
know when you might need it.  I think the real "One True Rule" is that if
you rely on computers, at some point they are going to disappoint you.

73,

Emily

At 05:40 PM 2/24/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi, Dave & Emily;
>
>As an advocate of the "One True Rule" (full CAT doppler tuning), please
>allow me to stir up the pot a little bit (after all, for now we're talking
>alot more on this -bb than on the sats anyway.)
>
>With the launch of Echo, particularly when operating L/S, doppler is going
>to be so intense that few will even attempt to operate without using full
>computer control of their transceivers.  It's probably time for us all to
>start moving in this direction.
>
>Everything changes eventually....
>
>73,
>
>Rick, KG6IAL