Re: Peltier element in space ?

>>> "William Leijenaar" <pe1rah@hotmail.com> 2/24/04 11:08:33 AM >>>
Hi AMSATs,

>Somebody knows if peltier-elements are ever used to power a satellite
???

The hard part is keeping one side always hot and the other
always cold.  This means active attitude control and therefore
a very expensive satellite that can afford solar cells..

I also had a design for GEO orbit that used solar-sail concepts
to keep one side always facing sun.  But a GEO is also very
expensive and again, cheaper then to put solar cells on that side.

My 3rd design used a CUBE with a center BLACK section
surrounded by an equal area of WHITE on all 6 sides.
Then internally all of the BLACK surfaces are conducted
to the HOT side of the Peltier junctions and the WHITE
surfaces are all conducted to the COLD sides of the
junctions so that there is always a heat flux.  Its not much,
but works:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/craft/peltier.gif

But again, efficiency is an order of magnitude better to
just use solar cells.  So we never could find a practical
application

de WB4APR, Bob