Re: RS-15

Mike

Can you clarify?
Is RS-15 always on?  And the only reason nothing is
heard most of the time is that there are no users?

>From what you way below, it seems like it shouldnt
be that hard.  But with the death of more of our
satelites, it RS-15 is always ON, then I could even
get interesetd in listening to it...

Bob

At 09:59 PM 2/22/2004, Keith wrote:

>Bob,
>A few years back i ran all the uplink i could muster and could just
make
>out my carrier on the downlink.  From what i understand if you have a

>sensitive
>Receiver and Full Legal Limit you can use the bird , barely.  But you
may
>end up
>talking to yourself cause no one else can do it.

 From my experience, it takes some finesse to work RS-15.  First, you
need
to have a good 10 meter receive antenna.  I built 2 different ones
which
seemed to work OK.  The first was a 10 meter turnstile, designed by
K5VAS,
Paul.  I mounted it about 10 feet off the ground, and seemed to work
through some of the deep fades.  The second antenna I tried, was a pair
of
hustler 10 meter elements mounted dipole fashion between my 70 cm and 2
OSCAR antennas.  As the KCT tracked the bird through the sky, the
elements
were always pointed, along with the 2 m antenna, at the bird.  The most

critical thing in working RS-15, is the ability to switch polarity on
your
uplink.  The satellite goes into very deep QSB which can be lessened by

"riding" the polarity switchers.  Full legal power is not needed, but
110
watts into a 22 element circularly polarized antenna does the trick.

I hope this helps.

73, Mike kf4fdj

----
Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
author.
Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!