Strategic Planing

To All Members,
In the following "AMSAT" refers only to AMSAT-NA except where specifically
shown.
Forward by Robin
February 21 and 22, 2004 may be considered as critical dates in the
continuing development of AMSAT.
Most of the Senior Officers together with most of the Board of Directors  met
to start developing the "New AMSAT Strategic Plan". It is now some 5 years
since the last plan was developed and since that time your Board of Directors
has undergone a radical change, at the same time the world has also changed
dramatically with 9-11, Enron, Worldcom and a turn down in the economy of the
USA.
Your Board thought that a new Strategic Plan should be developed taking
these changes into account, and the differences in thinking of the "New Board of
Directors".
The theme of the meeting was to decide what the our membership (you) wanted
from AMSAT and what AMSAT must do to remain an active organization and
survive the next 8 to 10 years. It was agreed that the strategic plan will be  under
constant review thus continually pushing the 8 to 10 year time  period
outwards.
A short Board meeting was held (Minutes to follow later) at which Dick
Jansson brought the BOD up to date on his thinking on Eagle, then we tabled a
motion on minutes, until all had a chance to discuss the matter, for 24 hours.
The BOD meeting was adjourned and  we
commenced the strategic Planning meeting.
In addition to the Board members Stan Wood VP Engineering, Martha  Saragovitz
Corporate Secretary, Art Feller Treasurer, Bill Burden VP Strategic
Planning, Jim Jarvis Marketing Manager, Steve Diggs Assistant to the President,  and
Lee McLamb BOD Alternate were present. Apologies were received from Gunther
Meisse who was sick. The session was held under the direction of and with the
assistance of Gerald Youngblood who has held many such sessions with similar
organizations and was recommended to the Board.
After reviewing the Strengths/Weaknesses/ Opportunities and Threats (SWOT)
to AMSAT we were able to determine a Mission  and Vision for AMSAT which
includes a long range plan, and to which all present were able to commit
themselves.
This plan assumed  launching ECHO later this year, and the  successful launch
of P3E by AMSAT-DL within the next 2 or 3 Years. It takes into  account the
possible launches of one or more Low Earth Orbit  satellites from one or more
of New Zealand, Australia, and India  together with other LEO satellites at the
same time as Eagle.
The plan assumes that although there will be AMSAT interest in AMSAT-DL's
P5E (to orbit Mars) there will be very few AMSAT members who will have suitable
equipment to work that satellite.
AMSAT MISSION.
AMSAT is a non-profit volunteer organization which designs, builds and
operates experimental satellites and promotes space education.
We work in partnership with government, industry, educational institutions
and fellow amateur radio societies.
We encourage technical and scientific, innovation and promote the training
and development of skilled satellite and ground system designers and  operators.
AMSAT VISION
Our Vision is to deploy High Earth Orbit satellite systems that offer daily
coverage by 2009 and continuous coverage by 2012.  AMSAT will continue  active
participation in human space missions and support a stream of LEO  satellites
developed in cooperation with the educational community and other  amateur
satellite groups.
Commentary by Robin.
In both the mission and the vision we discussed using specific names (such
as ARISS ) but decided it would be better to leave the statements generic.
Daily coverage by 2009  means two satellites in orbit such as P3E and  Eagle
well enough spaced apart then there would be one available everyday.
Continuous coverage means there will always be a high earth satellite for
some form of operation in North America (probably elsewhere too, but orbits have
 to be developed for this).
These would include P3E, Eagle and another as yet un-named satellite.
Although all present gave their agreement to these plans, much detailed  work
remains to be done over the next several months to determine implementation
methods, your BOD will be meeting bi-monthly by teleconference to work on
these  issues.
Our first Teleconference will be to "Define Roles and Expectations for BOD
and Officer positions".
Meeting these goals will require a great effort, particularly on behalf of
the members of the Board of Directors. Each BoD member will have to become an
active AMSAT representative and fund raiser, we will be looking for support
from  all of the membership financially, technically and administratively.
.
73
Robin Haighton VE3FRH
President AMSAT