Re: Newbie help for LEO's

Hi Adi,

The short answer to your question is basically all of them to some
degree.  FO-29 is probably your best bet for SSB, and AO-27 for FM.  While
you have an all mode piece of equipment I think you will find the
experience with a simplex radio is not the best but you might be able to
work around some of the difficulties.

As most people do, I'd recommend you start with an easy satellite like
AO-27, then move to SO-50 and graduate from there to FO-29 and finally to
AO-7.  The FM birds will help you to build some confidence before trying to
tackle the doppler shift and other SSB issues.

73,

Emily

At 11:07 AM 2/24/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been following the list for a while as I am very interested in
>operating on satellites. I finally got myself a multiband radio (FT-817)
>and a Arrow crossed yagi. The documentation I found on working satellites
>seems to somewhat dated. So here are some questions I have that haven't
>been answered elsewhere:
>
>Which satellites are currently operational that can be worked with
>multimode 2m/70cm low power equipment?
>
>What other bands, modes and satellites can be worked portable? With
>portable I mean gear that can be transported in the family van and setup
>at a campsite.
>
>Thanks,
>Adi
>--