Re: RS-15

At 09:59 PM 2/22/2004, Keith wrote:

>Bob,
>A few years back i ran all the uplink i could muster and could just make
>out my carrier on the downlink.  From what i understand if you have a
>sensitive
>Receiver and Full Legal Limit you can use the bird , barely.  But you may
>end up
>talking to yourself cause no one else can do it.

 From my experience, it takes some finesse to work RS-15.  First, you need
to have a good 10 meter receive antenna.  I built 2 different ones which
seemed to work OK.  The first was a 10 meter turnstile, designed by K5VAS,
Paul.  I mounted it about 10 feet off the ground, and seemed to work
through some of the deep fades.  The second antenna I tried, was a pair of
hustler 10 meter elements mounted dipole fashion between my 70 cm and 2 m
OSCAR antennas.  As the KCT tracked the bird through the sky, the elements
were always pointed, along with the 2 m antenna, at the bird.  The most
critical thing in working RS-15, is the ability to switch polarity on your
uplink.  The satellite goes into very deep QSB which can be lessened by
"riding" the polarity switchers.  Full legal power is not needed, but 110
watts into a 22 element circularly polarized antenna does the trick.

I hope this helps.

73, Mike kf4fdj