From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of wa6ilt@verizon.net
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 8:23 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Electronic vs. paper Journal

Some recent comments on this issue made me think of a possible middle
ground.  The Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) publishes the
*text* of their membership magazine (AOPA Pilot)each month.  Each
article or column is a link on their site and is archived for on-line
searching.

Obviously a lot of the Journal articles are graphic intensive but
believe me so are aviation articles.  The on-line text becomes available
so far ahead of the print version that I've usually read most if not all
the articles by the time the magazine shows up.  When it does make it, I
know just what to look for to supplement my sometime faulty
visualizations.  It's also nice to look at the airplanes and people and
the ads.

So no, I don't think electronic publication of the Journal can replace
the paper version, neither do I think the electronic version must be one
huge PDF file.  I think there's some utility to having text versions of
the articles available on-line.

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@amsat.org