Re: Icom 706 use on Sats

I agree that for just straight satellite work, the
910H (later serial # that has the freq. issues fixed)
is the way to go.  No amps needed, true dual receive,
and the 1.2g option.

The FT847 would work with the Icom preamps, as it will
send 12 volts up the coax.  However, if you have a
brick amplifier, this will not work.  It will not work
if you use the icom with an amplifier either, however.

If you want to expand to 6 or HF, the current price
for a TS2000 ($1489) is hard to beat.  The TS2000X
with the 1.2g installed is only $1898.  A basic FT847
will cost $1200 new.  CW and SSB filters will be $150
each.  The autotuner is $200.  A memory keyer and SWR
meter will be $100 together.  So, to get a FT847 with
the same features as a TS2000 will run $1800, and it
still doesn't have the TCXO which is not an option,
but is standard on the TS2000. Having owned both, the
TS2000 has a much better receiver, and the IF DSP also
works better.

73s John NE0P

Majordomo@amsat.org