Re: Icom 706 use on Sats

Nice comparison Emily.

I do wonder why Steve is wanting to part with the FT-736R though.  Many
operators consider its performance superior to the new rigs.  You can get
modules for 6m/23cm.  Just curious.

Emily, I wonder what you are calling mast-mounted preamps?  Do you mean
all-wx, coax powered, T/R switched?  I am sure that Kenwood and Yaesu have
preamps (may not be all-wx enclosures).  I would direct people to
aftermarket suppliers: ARR, DEM, SSB, Lunar, etc.

I have the FT-847, bought in 2000, and am happy with it.  I am eager to add
a clearspeech DSP for SSB operation and better mech filters than the stock
one (mainly for HF).  The DSP seems to work well (esp on CW).  I wish the
min CW-DSP was 50Hz vs 25Hz for weak-signal work.  The narrow setting has
too much ringing for my hearing on eme.  I replaced my FT-840 (HF) and VHF
xvtrs with the FT-847 so having it all in one box is nice (I also have a
FT-817 for portable operations: sat or mw).  I opted for the DEM 144/1268
Tx-conv for mode-L (no longer available) and also have a DEM xvtrs for
1296, 3456, and 10368 MHz...like their equipment!

73s and GL,
Ed