Re: Icom 706 use on Sats

You can use TWO Icom 706's or a 706 and a good wideband receiver starting
(pricewise) with the Icom PCR-1000, but the serious operators when buying
new have three options:  the Icom 910H (which I own), the TS-2000 or the
FT-847.  Here is the quick analysis that lead me to buy the 910:

TS-2000
strengths:  6M/HF, lots of configurations (including PC only), cross band
repeat
weaknesses: no vendor mast mounted preamps, factory upgrade to 1.2G,lots of
software complaints, lowest power on UHF 100W(V)/50W(U), highest price

FT-847
strengths: 6M/HF, very popular (many user groups), good software support,
DSP Standard, mid price
weaknesses: no vendor mast mounted preamps, no 1.2G option, lowest overall
power 50W(V)/50W(U)

Icom 910H
strengths:  Least expensive, highest power on UHF (75W) easy to use,
excellent display, lots of accessories, user upgrade to 1.2G, lowest price
weaknesses: cost of accessories, not supported by WiSP, no 6m/HF, DSP
Optional (at that time - now standard)

Since I live in a townhouse apartment (no HF antenna space) HF was not a
big consideration.  User upgrade to 1.2G was.  Also, I was buying just
before Field Day 2003 and my role was to be 2m/70cm SSB weak signal in
addition to satellite ops.  So the extra power was a factor.

73,

Emily

At 12:27 PM 2/21/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Anyone used a Icom 706 as part of a Oscar station, LEO flavor or HEO flavor.
>I am considering selling a FT 736 which I used for LEO work in the early
>90's in favor of a 706 paired with an old TS 700A.
>
>Comments from anyone using a similar setup would be appreciated.
>
>Steve
>N6CRR/VK8SO
>
>----

W0EEC - CM87tm