[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]

Re: [bod] RE: [officers] Fwd: New projects?



Russ and All:

Since the Board's action was during my watch, I feel qualified to respond.

One correction:

Yes, the Board did vote to put Eagle on the shelf and spend only what was
already committed.  It was NOT done to put the resources on Echo.  Except
for the launch, those resources were essentially already committed. Eagle
was not put on the back burner, as you say, because there is NOT enough
money for both.  It was put on the backburner because there is not enough
money - period.  Eagle is a $500,000 to $1,000,000 project. And who know
what the launch would cost? The money is just not there.for such a large
project.  AMSAT is lucky to be able to complete Echo and get it launched.

So, until some significant money can be raised, there won't be any projects
the size of Eagle.

Sorry to be such a pessimist.

Yes, some AMSAT-NA members are working with DL on P3E and apparently P5.  I
don't know what's pathetic about it.  They are doing it on their own.
AMSAT-NA has not been asked to help on these projects and, because of ITAR,
it would be difficult to do so.

I am sure that AMSAT-NA wishes the best of success to the DL folks on their
two projects.

73,

Bill Tynan, W3XO
Former Board Chairman

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Russ Tillman" <k5nrk@bellsouth.net>
To: "'Paul Williamson'" <kb5mu@AMSAT.Org>; <bod@AMSAT.Org>;
<officers@AMSAT.Org>; <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 5:47 PM
Subject: [bod] RE: [officers] Fwd: [amsat-bb] New projects?


> Hi Paul:
>
> There is no reason for any news on Eagle! I seem to recall the BoD
> placed Eagle on the backburner so full resources could be devoted to
> Echo development, i.e. there wasn't enough funds for both?
>
> Meanwhile, some of the Eagle development team were tapped by AMSAT-DL to
> assist in development of its components. As a result, they have been
> busy doing that.
>
> Pathetic?
>
> 73,
>
> Russ Tillman, K5NRK
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-Officers@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-Officers@AMSAT.Org] On
> Behalf Of Paul Williamson
> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 12:43 PM
> To: bod@AMSAT.Org; officers@AMSAT.Org
> Subject: [officers] Fwd: [amsat-bb] New projects?
>
> This comment on AMSAT-BB hits a nerve:
>
> >I went to the Amsat.org web site today to look for some Eagle-related
> info.
> >I didn't see anything pertaining to Eagle (other than the new Eagle
> Build
> >Campaign thermometer! Nice work!), so I clicked on a link titled 'New
> >Projects' http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/ans2001/ans01063.html#02
> >and found myself reading news from March 4, 2001!
>
> Pathetic, isn't it? But there has been no news generated by the Eagle
> project
> since that announcement three years ago. I can't post what doesn't
> exist. That
> announcement still contains all the available concrete information on
> Eagle as
> far as I know.
>
> At the early Eagle/Projcomm meeting I attended, there was a strong
> agreement
> that an Information Officer position was needed. Do we have anybody in
> that
> position? Does he have anything newer or more substantial for me to
> post?
>
> 73  -Paul
> kb5mu@amsat.org
> ----
> Via the officers mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
>
>
> ----
> Via the bod mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
>
>
----
Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe amsat-bb" to Majordomo@amsat.org



AMSAT Top AMSAT Home