University Nanosat Program

Al,

Regarding the Nanosat-3 program, NASA and the AFRL had a review/poster
session with the University Nanosat 3 team of universities just a few weeks
ago.  This was held near the Dulles Airport in the DC area.  All 13
universities were in attendance.  We also had a significant contingent of
AMSAT leadership there.  They provided significant guidance to the
university students, the professors and to the NASA and AFRL members in
attendance.  For example, Tom Clark, W3IWI, Art Feller, W4ART, Perry
Klein,  W3PK and Mark Kanawati, N4TPY were there as well as yours
truly.  There was a lot of AMSAT hardware development knowledge in that
room.  The AMSAT team members had some substantial one-on-one dialogue with
the university teams on frequency coordination, dos and don'ts of
spacecraft design, etc.  I think this whole event was a win-win for the
universities, for the government agencies that sponsored it and for AMSAT.

Since I am on sit on two sides of the fence on this discussion (my team at
NASA is a co-sponsor of the university nanosat program and I am an AMSAT
Officer), I must say that this was a great event for the universities and
for AMSAT.  It should be a model for future collaborations with
universities building satellites.

There will be another University Nanosat review planned for the small sat
conference in August.  AMSAT has been invited to support this with
reviewers.  I am certain that the AMSAT experts will be there to provide
their guidance and sage knowledge to these young students.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

Message: 16