Re: Universities

Al,

I am getting further hooked into the satellite world
and am encouraged by AMSAT moving in thius direction.

My question, is there any satellite building interest
here at the University of Washington, Seattle, where I
am a faculty?

Michael

--- Al Zoller <n7ub@littleappletech.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Some weeks ago, I emailed the BoD on the subject of
> AMSAT's
> Strategic Plan and Goals. The then current version
> of that document
> contains several references to university satellite
> programs. To my
> knowledge, nothing was ever done to implement those
> plans and
> goals.
>
> Bob's assessment of the success of the university
> satellite programs
> is certainly on the mark but IMHO we (AMSAT)
> contributed to the
> failures by our lack of attention.
>
> I have subsequently been told that the BoD is going
> to seriously
> consider the university satellite programs in the to
> be revised
> Strategic Plan and Goals.
>
> For the past year, I have been privileged to be
> deeply involved in
> a university sat program. See
> http://www.ssel.montana.edu/merope/.
> This program was well under way when I came on board
> so there has
> been little opportunity to influence the
> configuration with regard to
> amateur radio but this will not be the last sat
> built here.
>
> I firmly believe that if AMSAT were involved in
> these programs early
> in their conception and offered constructive
> guidance and help that
> many would be more successful and result in more
> LEOs available
> to the general ham population. If you go to
> http://www.amsat.org.uk/iaru/
> you can get an idea of the magnitude of what is
> currently going on.
> To get a bigger picture, explore
> http://www.smallsat.org/. Another
> example is NASA's Nano Sat 3 program in which there
> are 13
> universities involved. Ten of these have elected to
> utilize  amateur
> radio frequencies! This situation is approaching
> critical mass.
>
> All of these programs are producing more hams and
> they are also
> producing the satellite designers and builders of
> the future. Dare
> AMSAT neglect them?
>
> My $0.02
>
> 73 de N7UB, Al
> AMSAT LM1505, PC,
> Area Coordinator,
> Cube-Sat Advisor

> those of the author.
> satellite program!
Majordomo@amsat.org

=====
Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions