Re: Profile of a satellite newcomer (n + 1)

Bruce and list,

Great points..!  There are lots of others like you and
echo (pardon the use the word..!) exactly all of your
points.  For me I am,

1. Recently in sats, LONG time HF'er & Dx'er
2. Hooked into building a station by LEOS
3. Very busy and one pass in an evening between kids
dinner and bed is all that is possible (and it's loads
of fun)
4. Building AO-40 stn, cause it's going to come
back..!
5. Undetered to donate to 'Echo' and 'Eagle'

Michael

--- Bruce Robertson <broberts@mta.ca> wrote:

> In a recent thread entitled 'One Working LEO',
> members of this list have
> theorized about the role of LEO satellites in
> enticing hams to operating
> via the birds and joining Amsat. While I can't claim
> to be representative
> of any larger group, I can describe my growing
> interest in satellite
> operation and the critical role LEO FM satellites
> play in it.
>
> Although I've been a HF-only op in the past, I
> recently bought a dual-band
> handheld in order to a) explore APRS, b) assist in
> local emergeny planning
> and c) get a taste of satellite operation through
> the LEO FM satellites.
> Despite my long-standing interest in satellite ops,
> a rig with multimode
> VHF/UHF abilities, much less one that can operate
> duplex, was completely
> out of the question financially and would have been
> too single-purposed to
> broaden my horizons in those three different ways.
>
> Initially I was disappointed to discover that UO-14
> and AO-27 were, in
> fact, off the air, but the last two months of
> receiving PCSat, ISS and
> building a 70cm hand-held beam to catch AO-27 have
> been as fun and
> educational as anything I've done as a ham. I can't
> wait to build the
> diplexer and 2m side of my beam so that I can
> transmit!
>
> The furtive QSOs on AO-27 are, to me, a benefit of
> the LEO medium, not a
> problem. In this phase of my life, 6 min. of intense
> hamming a day is about
> right. I can bring the children outside with me to
> 'wiggle the antenna
> around the sky', listen to the pass, then go inside
> for cocoa. A fellow
> HF-op  ham from the town has asked me to let him
> know when he can drop by
> with his daughter to listen in. Judging by the
> activity I've heard so far,
> people conduct themselves according to the highest
> standards while
> conversing on the birds.
>
> All of this leads me to hope for greater things. I
> forgot to bid on the
> 440-28Mhz downconverter that someone put on Ebay to
> help fund Echo, but the
> final price was certainly in my range, and with it I
> could read CW and SSB
> off of FO-29 and AO-7. I'm sure this would be a
> thrill, too.
>
> In short, in my case, FM LEOs indeed provide a
> necessary gateway into the
> world of satellite operations, and I would not be
> setting aside part of
> next paycheque for Amsat membership and a Echo
> donation if those birds were
> not flying. Based in my experience, I would
> recommend that even the most
> enthusiastic HEO operator (cynically or honestly, as
> the case may be) view
> Echo as an opportunity to increase enthusiasm for
> [...]
Majordomo@amsat.org

=====
Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions