Re: Yaesu 5400

Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:

> I may take my rotor down and do some maintenance on it.  I've had it
> ten years and have never done anything to it.  I noticed while I was
> swinging it around to Point antennas at AO-40 to see if I might hear
> anything, there is a point in azimuth rotation where it turns very
> slow, and then picks up speed again.
>
> Has anyone made a website with photos of disassembly and assembly so I
> end up  with a working rotor when I'm down?
>
> Also, what is a good lubricant to use on the bearings.
>
> KB7ADL

I did mine a few years ago, and while I don't have a website, here are a
few tips:

Disassembly of the rotor is pretty straightforward, just take your time
and lay everything out in order. It can also be a bit messy.  Lay out an
old terrycloth towel on the bench before pulling the case apart to
prevent ball bearings from going everywhere when the case comes apart.

The  case screws can be difficult to remove. Soak them in WD-40 for a
few days before trying to remove them. You might need an impact driver
to remove them, but give it a try with a good properly sized
screwdriver. Put a little antiseize on the threads when reassembling it.

The balls on the Azimuth side are 3/8 inch, and they may be rusted.
Replace any that are pitted with new ones, it takes about 100 to do the
entire rotor. Not sure about the elevation rotor, they might be the same
size, maybe not.

There is a drain hole in the azimuth rotor, which may become clogged,
and it wouldn't hurt to enlarge it.

Soak the bearings, gears, etc. in Kerosene, paint thinner, or a
commercial parts cleaning solution prior to inspection. Clean the races,
gear rings, etc as well. Light rust/ pitting can be sanded away.
Severely rusted/pitted parts should be replaced.

Make up a test cable out of a short piece of rotor cable, thermostat
wiring, etc so you can verify rotor operation before reinstallation.
 From experience, its a lot easier to detect and correct a
wiring/assembly mistake while the rotor is still on the bench than
outside on the tower.

A good reassembly adhesive is good old white lithium  grease. Its light
enough to prevent drag when cold, is water resistant, and provides good
"staying power". Automotive wheel bearing grease works as well, but may
be a little heavy for cold climates.