Universities

Hello again,

Some weeks ago, I emailed the BoD on the subject of AMSAT's
Strategic Plan and Goals. The then current version of that document
contains several references to university satellite programs. To my
knowledge, nothing was ever done to implement those plans and
goals.

Bob's assessment of the success of the university satellite programs
is certainly on the mark but IMHO we (AMSAT) contributed to the
failures by our lack of attention.

I have subsequently been told that the BoD is going to seriously
consider the university satellite programs in the to be revised
Strategic Plan and Goals.

For the past year, I have been privileged to be deeply involved in
a university sat program. See http://www.ssel.montana.edu/merope/.
This program was well under way when I came on board so there has
been little opportunity to influence the configuration with regard to
amateur radio but this will not be the last sat built here.

I firmly believe that if AMSAT were involved in these programs early
in their conception and offered constructive guidance and help that
many would be more successful and result in more LEOs available
to the general ham population. If you go to http://www.amsat.org.uk/iaru/
you can get an idea of the magnitude of what is currently going on.
To get a bigger picture, explore http://www.smallsat.org/. Another
example is NASA's Nano Sat 3 program in which there are 13
universities involved. Ten of these have elected to utilize  amateur
radio frequencies! This situation is approaching critical mass.

All of these programs are producing more hams and they are also
producing the satellite designers and builders of the future. Dare
AMSAT neglect them?

My $0.02

73 de N7UB, Al
AMSAT LM1505, PC,