Open Source Satellites (was: The hard questions..)

Dear Kevin and all other friends of the open source sat,
please bear in mind:

All Amsat Satellites are open source!

Why do I say this? Because every single operator who is willing to spend
some serious thoughts and time and skills on such a project is more than
welcome! By 'serious', I mean: dedicate some amount (more than 5
minutes) of your time to a problem, approach the people in charge and
say so!

I did so and had been invited to a P3-E kickoff meeting here in Germany.
Although my expertise is certainly little compare to the veterans among
us.. still, I wanted (and still want) to help where I can and those OMs
appreciate all help they can get. And be certain, you will also get
access to the data.

An example? Jonathan, G4KLX digged himself into the IPS code, which runs
on all the P3 birds.. he took Phil Karn's idea of FEC coding and asked
James G3RUH for help to implement this on AO-40.. and bang, all of a
sudden he (and his code) was inside the AO-40 project. The results of
having FEC on AO-40 are well known, I suppose.

What won't happen: publishing of schematics, co and drawings in the
Internet, so that everybody can judge by a 5 minutes view from its PC:
oh this is crap, why not doing it another way? Sorting out all the
resulting ideas (certainly good and bad ones) would be a lifetime job..

Just my thoughts.. so please, if you do have ideas, contact the
developers and offer help!

73s Achim, DH2VA