Re: MARS rise & set times

Phil Karn wrote:

> By the way, on OS X at least Mars24 burns an awful lot of CPU time for
> what it does, about 34% of a 2 GHz G5. Probably because it's written in
> Java, a remarkably inefficient language.

Tsk,tsk,tsk. Modern Java runtimes (the only kind there are on OSX) often
  compare very favorably with handcoded C for many operations, apples to
apples.

See http://kano.net/javabench/index (warning: rude page heading)

Unfortunately, while it's not *quite* as easy to write bad Java as it is
to write bad C, it's still very possible. The probability of writing bad
GUI code is higher, mostly because Java does a lot of extra work to be
portable across all the various GUI platform possibilties out there.
This may have something to do with why running the "solar plot" display
(not exactly graphically intensive) pegs my CPU to 100% on both the
browser applet and application versions.

I can confirrm about 60% CPU utilization for Mars24 application on my
elderly 700 MHz Pentium III running an equally elderly copy of Linux.
For a somewhat slower start-up but improved long-run performance specify
the "server version" of the Java virtual machine (command: "java -server
-jar Mars24.jar"); on my system this gives someting around 36-40% CPU
utilization once the application is started and running. The server
version of the Hotspot JVM also drastically reduces the "solar plot"
display CPU usage.

Of course, these numbers would surely be different if C were used;
there'd probably be one somewhat better-performing version for whatever
platform the developer had at-hand (SPARC?), and everybody else
(including you and me, Phil) would see 0% utilization because there
wouldn't be a version for their Windows, OSX and Linux machines, nor
anything runnable in web browsers. :-)

  73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP/"The art of progress /