From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Paul Williamson
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 4:35 PM
To: Daniel Schultz
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: The hard questions..

At 4:29 AM -0500 2/17/04, Daniel Schultz wrote:
>For the next satellite, we need to employ another NASA technique, and have
>mandatory and formal design review by outsiders not intimately connected to
>the project.

The importance of this cannot be overstated. Good engineering takes
more than brilliant engineers.

For this to work, the design has to be visible, at all levels of
detail. It doesn't have to be public (though that might also be a
good idea). It just has to be written down in enough detail that
independent reviewers can understand and evaluate it.

What's more, the structure of the project's management has to be
arranged so that the designers are not allowed to ignore the design
review input. This is not easy. Even NASA has a hard time with it.

I have been lucky enough to participate in several satellite
projects, in a small way. From what I have seen, we have made some
efforts in these areas, but still have room for improvement.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org