Re Hard Questions

Mike Hooles wrote:

I've donated to Echo and will be donating to the Eagle and others as they come along, let's look forward and get both birds into orbit

Wayne replies:

AMSAT-NA had an Eagle fund raising/publicity campaign BEFORE Echo was announced.  I contributed hundreds of dollars to the Eagle fund raising campaign.  Then a short time later AMSAT-NA announced that Eagle is being put on the back burner because we committed to purchase a new LEO satellite instead.  Furthermore the announcement hinted, but didn't communicate forthrightly, that AMSAT robbed its reserves to pay for this new LEO satellite.

I fully support the Echo project and have donated generously.  We need more satellites of ALL kinds.  It is the Board of Directors' job to decide what projects to pursue.  But I know I'm not the only one who feels that the initiation of the Eagle project was a disaster from a "member relations" standpoint:

1. The way it was decided (general membership out of the loop).
2. The way it was announced (obfuscation about the cost and how it will be paid).
3. The timing with respect to the initial Eagle fund raising/publicity campaign.

We must learn from our mistakes and move on, cognizant that AMSAT-NA (as we know it) would probably become defunct if these mistakes are repeated.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA