Re: Re: The hard questions..

In a message dated 16/02/2004 05:29:18 GMT  Standard Time, w4sm@keplerian.com
writes:

In satellite commanding, as in  my "day job" with sick patients, the end is
always unpleasant and  inevitable.  Our job can never be more than to hold
off the inevitable  for as long as possible.  When the inevitable happens,
some will feel  an irresistible need to "blame".  If it makes you feel
better to lay  blame on someone, the command team, or more specifically, me,
for not   being able to foresee an instantaneous catastrophic battery
failure, then I  can do nothing to stop you.  However, my conscience is
clear, and I  firmly believe that there is no blame to apportion.  I've
played the  event through many times in my head and I would not have done
anything  differently UNLESS I had a crystal ball.

...and I used to wonder why so  few folks were interested in being command
stations.
<<<<

To the folks who seem to be blaming the  command team and possibly Stacey,
W4SM, I would like to provide an alternative angle on this subject.

Try and place your self as the satellite or  patient wanting someone in the
command team control or doctor to help them. They  (satellite or patient)
cannot tell the command team or doctor what is wrong with  them so they have to
listen to the problems over a period of time.

Now I  would like to tell you a unique coincidence between satellites,
doctors and  ailing patients. Like AO-40 needs an expert of outstanding qualities I
needed  the same, I have an extremely rare and nasty cancer which as gone
secondary pre  Christmas, the only man / pathologist in the world that as studied
this cancer  is another fellow AMSAT member by the name of Stacey Mills
(W4SM). Thanks to  Stacey and his documentation of this cancer I am still alive and
fighting it on  equal terms. I think and feel that you are fortunate to have
Stacey on the  command team using his professional analysis of his patient
because he and the  AO-40 team are the only ones that might save your satellite.

Yes,  patients and saellites die, but it is professionals that keep them
alive longer  than they would have without their intervention.

Come on folks, give the  command team the breathing space they need to try
and bring back your satellite  like they have done before. Commercial companies
would have wrote off this  satellite when the first accident happened, yet you
still continued to enjoy its  facilities?

The support I have receive from many of the AMSAT members and  board members
over the years has been outstanding and I feel that all of you  should know
that they done and are doing a sterling job behind the scenes way  beyond the
call of duty for you all  too.

73's

Chris
GW6KZZ