ECHO -vs- EAGLE

Ladies & Gentlemen,
While not speaking on behalf of the Board of Directors, and as the new
kid on the block within the BoD of AMSAT, I must say a couple things
regarding the recent discussion regarding ECHO / EAGLE.
First, I think it is fair to say that many of us read the -bb
faithfully. I know I do. It is the voice of our members and is watched
religiously for trends in opinion.
Now, we must understand that AMSAT is comprised of a number of
constituencies: from the Ham with an HT to the member with a 20' dish.
We must observe, and serve, ALL these constituencies. One, is no more
important than the other.
To that end, AMSAT is about to conduct a Fact & Opinion gathering
exercise with the implementation of a random Membership Survey to try
and develop a specific "Fact Set" and "Opinion Set" from which we can
help plot our future, serving the membership with what they want. This
effort will take a few months to conclude and will not start until after
the upcoming BoD meeting in Orlando this week. If you are one of the
selected recipients of the rather long (6 pages) questionnaire, PLEASE
take the time to complete and return it. It is VITAL to the future of
AMSAT.
With the HT ~ 20' dish concept in mind, ECHO is no less important than
EAGLE. Remember, AO-40 was up and running, and the LEO fleet was aging.
ECHO was very inexpensive compared to EAGLE and could be placed in orbit
in a much shorter time frame. SO, ECHO was a good decision for immediate
implementation. EAGLE is next up and will receive the necessary gusto
from your BoD, especially with the present state of AO-40.
After the BoD meeting, and the process of plotting our strategic plan
for the future, I can assure you that you will hear more from me, our
AMSAT officers, and the BoD as a whole..
Stay tuned, and remember, there are MANY DIFFERENT CONSTITUENCIES THAT
WE MUST TRY TO SERVE. WE ARE TRYING OUR BEST TO SERVE YOU!
Regards,
Gunther Meisse
W8GSM