RE: AMSAT goals and future?

Barry,

The details of that decision are published in Board minutes from a couple
years ago (before I was on the Board) but as I recall it was due to a number
of factors including:

- the lack of a launch opportunity for Eagle,
- the existence of the AMSAT-DL P3D project to which many of AMSAT-NA's
designers were contributing much of their time,
- the long schedule from concept to operational status for any high orbit
satellite,
- the assumption that AO-40 would provide good service for years,
- the relatively low cost of Echo (about 10% of projected Eagle costs),
- the need to provide a replacement for aging "EasySats",
- the need for a platform to test new concepts in communications like the
digital proposal from KA9Q, and
- a unique opportunity to get Echo built quickly using commercial parts
while providing plenty of room for volunteer provided optional payloads.

Most of these assumptions are still valid. The impact on AMSAT's reserve
funds has been minimized through many donations and now through the launch
fundraising campaign.

These decisions are never easy and are made with the best information
available at the time by well meaning volunteers, your Board members. I
encourage you to attend board meetings to see how the process works and to
contribute your opinions. This is not an easy job and the Board members do
their best to represent the best interests of AMSAT.

The Eagle project has not stopped completely during this time.  Money has
been spent and design work continues on some of the subsystems. A
presentation is scheduled on Eagle development to the Board next week.  I
assure you that the Board is very interested in getting Echo launched and
getting Eagle back on track.

Rick
W2GPS
AMSAT LM 2232