Re: Re WHIP ANTENNAS

Here is my two cents about working linear birds from mobile. It also works
great with the FM birds.

My working conditions for FO-29 mobile are:

TX: my old FT-290 + 50W PA + 1/4 wave VHF mobile antenna (this is my VHF
mobile setup installed in my car to work FM-simplex and repeaters).

RX: my little Kenwood TH-F7E + Diamond RH-77 rubber whip + a pair of
earbuds. This is
the "secret" ingredient of my mobile FO-29 station. I hold the F7 out of the
driver window looking for the best signal and tuning the downlink. I must
say that it works very well for me. I 've tried my little FT-817 in the same
way, but when I transmit with the uplink setup the FT-817 is overloaded with
S9+ in the UHF band SSB (I don't know why is this, because I supposed that
the FT-817 is better rig to work SSB than the F7, and the sensivity is about
the
same in both receivers on SSB). I¥ve tried with my IC-R10, my AR8000 and my
AR8200 but these receivers aren't enough sensitive to work in these
conditions and, like the FT-817, they are overloaded easily.

Hope this help!

Pedro EB4DKA
www.eb4dka.tk
www.qsl.net/eb4dka