Re: AO-40 MK II

Now these are two REALLY great questions.

We all remember what a super downlink we had on 2 m for telemetry and
think the rest would have just as great.  Why do we have to be like the
roadrunner cartoon and try something different every time.  We learned
some valuable lessons on AO-40.  Let's put them to use. You super
engineers that worked so hard on AO-40 wouldn't you like to see the bird
in orbit in all its glory?  What a bird AO-40 is/was even in the crippled
state!  Just think what it would have been in a fully operational state
and in the desired orbit!

Can anyone give us a first shot at the answers to the questions posed by
Werner?  Surely if the drawings and diagrams still exist, the time line
would be shorter than the first time.  Some of the components could be
hard to come by but so were they the first time. Dick wouldn't have to
redo all those temperature analyses he sweated over for so long.<grin>

What are the cons to such a project?  Robin, Stan, Lou, Dick, Peter, Rick,
Stacy and others too numerous to mention is this at all feasible?

This is one thread that needs to be pursued. What say you knowledgeable
folks?

73...Jim...W5VZF.

Dr. Jim Akers
Dept. of Electrical