RE: Whip Antennas (was Re: AO-7 requirements)

Still in all, the 5/8 wave is a POOR choice for working satellites from a
mobile at any power level.  The 1/4 or even 3/4 is better, unless you only
want to work passes on the horizon to about 30 degrees.

Since (at least at my location) most of the satellite passes reach above 30
degrees, but few above 60 degrees, something that has a good pattern in that
area is desirable.  Using an amp/preamp may help with the rest.

Of course, YMMV and whatever works for you.  I run nothing but 1/4 waves on
my jeep, 28, 50, 144, 220, 440, and 1260 Mhz.  And yes, it works for me.
The pattern is especially nice since much of my jeeping is right up in the
mountains, under the repeaters.

Mike.  KD9KC
El Paso, TX.