Whip Antennas (was Re: AO-7 requirements)

This is all very well that the 19" whip antenna can be used on PacSats (he
specifically refers to AO-16 and IO-26 but 1) only above 30 degrees 2)
packet is far more efficient than FM voice and 3) these are satellites with
very hefty transmitters (several watts.)  SO-50 has a 250mw transmitter and
AO-27 is 500mw.   So to say that you can work SO-50 and AO-27 with an 18"
whip as well as the PacSats is not true.  You are comparing grapes to
grapefruit.  The PacSats have 12-18db more link margin than SO-50 and AO-27.

73,

Emily

At 07:29 PM 2/14/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Not to repeat the whole scenario...please refer to:
>
>http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html
>
>3/4 of the way down the page under antennas...
>
>Thanks
>
>Roger
>WA1KAT
>
>In a message dated 02/14/04 6:53:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, w0eec@AMSAT.Org
>writes:
>
> > I could work AO-27 on a 6" whip, but how much of the pass would I really
>hear?
> >

> >  I'm assuming the person asking would like to work the pass efficiently.
> >
> >  73,
> >
> >  Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7